Roasted Fennel and Black Pepper Crostini with Feta Hummus
It’s amazing what a single slice of our Tuscan Boule brushed with olive oil and crushed toasted fennel and used to scoop out a dollop of garlic-laced lemony crumbled feta cheese & hummus dip can do to your senses. Close your eyes and imagine yourself on a hillside villa in Tuscany, at sunset. Or, keep your eyes open and avoid the stares from passers by. However you enjoy it, it won’t be the last.
- 1 Grace Baking Tuscan Boule
- 3 tbsp. whole fennel seed
- 2 tbsp. cracked black pepper
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp. crumbled Feta cheese
- ¾ cup plain Hummus homemade or store bought
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- Toast fennel seeds in a dry skillet over high heat until golden and fragrant. Transfer toasted seeds to a mini food processor, add pepper and pulse together until almost fully ground. (Leave some fennel in larger pieces, this will add texture to your crostini) Pour into a bowl and stir in ½ cup of olive oil.
- Pre-heat oven to high heat broil. Slice bread into ¼ inch thick slices and cut each slice in half diagonally.
- Working in batches, place bread slices onto a baking sheet. (*Do not line baking sheet). Generously brush both sides of bread slices with fennel oil mixture. Place under broiler and toast until golden, approximately 1 minute. (*Watch to prevent burning.) Remove baking sheet, flip bread and broil other side. Set bread slices on a cooling rack and continue with remaining bread slices.
- Place 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 cup of feta, hummus, lemon juice and garlic in a mini food processor and pulse until smooth. Season with pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with reserved feta, black pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve bread with feta hummus and enjoy!
*Tip: Freeze fresh for 5-10 minutes or use day old boule before slicing. This will make it easier to cut.